On July 11th, 2018 we received a call from a church that is located on Jefferson St. in Tupelo, MS. The staff member asked for an inspection of a wall in a classroom that had unidentified discoloring on it which they suspected might be mold.
The staff member had already cleaned the discolored area with an over the counter mold remover before we were called.
We arrived that day and inspected with an infrared camera that showed moisture behind the wall from a hot water leak coming from a pipe in the ceiling.
We took an air sample from the wall cavity to determine if the mold was in the wall and a swab sample from the backside of the baseboard. The samples came back showing evidence of stachybotrys, otherwise known as toxic black mold. This type of mold is especially dangerous and can cause serious health problems and even death.
We immediately began setting up negative air containment to prevent cross-contamination during mold remediation processes.
After containment was established we removed the affected sheetrock and insulation that was covered in mold, bagged it, and disposed of it properly. Once this contaminated material was removed, wood framing was treated and cleaned to kill any mold.
After all mold was removed the plumber was able to enter the area and repair the leak.
With the mold remediation process complete and plumbing repair, we then put up new insulation and sheetrock, re-installed the wood trim, and painted the affected wall to restore the room to its original condition.
Tags: mold remediation